Author Topic: Munge Climber -2 degrees of Separation  (Read 5310 times)

Jake M.

• Cobble Crimpers
Re: Munge Climber -2 degrees of Separation
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2017, 08:42:15 AM »
Ok, I'll bite. I first met Rob at REI around 1993, where we worked with F4, Bela, Steve Throne, Rob Chang, Don Reed, and a bunch of other characters. A "highlight" was tackling a shoplifter.. wow was I stupid. But $8.25/hr, 30% off purchases, plus pro deals made it seem like a dream job. Besides Carls Jr, I liked to go next door and buy the 25 cent cans of pineapple soda.

I went on a few "group" trips with Mungie, including ice climbing, and a ski trip where I drove, and Ford Bronco was filled with REI folks who kept complaining about getting carsick and being scared after I hit some black ice. He and I finally did a trip together to Mt. Mendel. We over packed a bit, and barely survived the approach over Lamarck Col. I recall a Marmot kept badgering us and I threw a rock and somehow hit him on the top of the head - he left us alone after that. We spent the evening looking across at the terrifying-looking North face of Mendel and brainstorming reasons not to climb it... needless to say we convinced ourselves to hike back down the next day, and go rock climbing instead, in the Meadows I think?

Other Munge highlights included a first top rope ascent in Pinnacles with F4 on a crumbling arete on the West Side. Another was rafting Stevens Creek after a big rain in an $20 K-Mart raft with Munge scouting ahead for logs and strainers.. good times for sure.

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2017, 03:04:39 PM »
They paid you $8.25, man I swear it was $6.00.

Then again, I was a Bundy with Bela...

I think Blunt Arete was all Rob and you Jake, I didn't get to partake in that "fun".

I'm not worthy.

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 07:09:32 PM »
Bump, more dirt, I mean stories needed.
I'm not worthy.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 08:13:54 PM »
Another was rafting Stevens Creek after a big rain in an $20 K-Mart raft with Munge scouting ahead for logs and strainers.. good times for sure.

true adventure there
Here's to sweat in your eye

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 08:18:11 PM »
Somewhere o somewhere is a picture of them.

It was pretty funny when they came into the store and fessed up to the adventure.

Now, for those of you not familiar with Stevens Crik.....it's damn narrow with some tight bridges.
I'm not worthy.

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 08:49:47 PM »
Shallow bottom that crik. Knees were battered on that trip. Lol
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge