Author Topic: Mountain grammar  (Read 3132 times)

beanolar

• Mudders
Mountain grammar
« on: November 09, 2017, 08:21:35 AM »
IDK guys, can the text from the first kooks in the valley, AND the Spanish language be wrong? I don't want to sound like a granitard when I climb in the Mts. What should I call them ??

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
Re: Mountain grammar
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 09:37:38 AM »

Sierra if you are talking about one mountain range i.e. Sierra Nevada, Sierra Madre, Sierra Leone

Sierras refers to more than one range.

The batholith that is exposed as the Sierra Nevada in CA extends about 800 miles into Mexico.

Semantics and historical usage - reminds me of the arguments about using serpentine versus serpentinite.
Serpentine refers to a family of minerals but has also been used over the years as an old school way of referring to any rock made of various serpentine minerals. Technically a rock made of serpentine minerals is serpentinte but most people don't care or know the difference.   

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
One wheel shy of normal

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 10:36:05 AM »
And here I thought serpentine was a character description for those who could sell apples to naked people.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 10:42:05 AM »
You should listen to John's learned opinion. He's right (even though you just want to stir the pot).

And if you're not willing to listen to John? I've got two authorities who are even more reliable than him (and that's one hellofa tough standard to beat).

The two more reliable sources are, of course, Steve Roper and R.J. Secor (R.I.P. to R.J. by the way). Pull out your copy of Roper's "The Climber's Guide to the High Sierra." Get any one of your copies of Secor's "The High Sierra Peaks Passes and Trails." Every reference in both is to Sierra or High Sierra.

These two are GUIDEBOOK AUTHORS. There is no more reliable source in the world than a guidebook author.

Wait, what was that you said? You don't have these guidebooks? Oh Gesssuuuss. Two of the most critical guidebooks to any respectable California climber's guidebook collection, and you don't have them? Well that kinda says all else that needs to be said, now doesn't it  :P  :P

JC w KC redux

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 11:38:24 AM »
And here I thought serpentine was a character description for those who could sell apples to naked people.

Why do you have to make everything sexual? (never gets old  :lol:)
One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 11:49:14 AM »
You should listen to John's learned opinion. He's right (even though you just want to stir the pot).

And if you're not willing to listen to John? I've got two authorities who are even more reliable than him (and that's one hellofa tough standard to beat).

The two more reliable sources are, of course, Steve Roper and R.J. Secor (R.I.P. to R.J. by the way). Pull out your copy of Roper's "The Climber's Guide to the High Sierra." Get any one of your copies of Secor's "The High Sierra Peaks Passes and Trails." Every reference in both is to Sierra or High Sierra.

These two are GUIDEBOOK AUTHORS. There is no more reliable source in the world than a guidebook author.

Wait, what was that you said? You don't have these guidebooks? Oh Gesssuuuss. Two of the most critical guidebooks to any respectable California climber's guidebook collection, and you don't have them? Well that kinda says all else that needs to be said, now doesn't it  :P  :P

I've had people fooled into thinking I know stuff for almost 20 years  :lol:

Guidebook authors are like Kings. Kings sitting in their castles...deciding important things...deciding the fates of others...

By the way...I don't own either of those books so it looks like it is you and me beano  :lol:  :prrr: :ciappa:
One wheel shy of normal

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 11:50:06 AM »
SierraS, multiple peaks.
 ::)
I'm not worthy.

beanolar

• Mudders
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 01:39:28 PM »
Oh man, I must have an older edition of Secor's book. This mustve been before he changed his grammar to be wrong.

I smell a conspiracy!!!

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 02:18:25 PM »

Oh man, I must have an older edition of Secor's book. This mustve been before he changed his grammar to be wrong.

I smell a conspiracy!!!

Don't you have a diaper to change or something?

I am shocked, shocked I tell you.

It blows me away that you've actually got that book (nice husband by the way).

P.S. You're pretty damn handy with Photoshop (or whatever the hell you used!).

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 10:09:23 PM »
SierraS
I'm not worthy.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 12:34:35 PM »
He is holding the book wrong.

beanolar

• Mudders
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 03:24:16 PM »
Yes, too many to count

Why wouldn't I have that book, it has tons of routes in my grade!! 5.6- !!! Totally not photoshopped, 100% original text!

beanolar

• Mudders
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 03:30:20 PM »
I believe he is holding the book in the most aesthetic way possible, respecting the author's original intention, which was to correctly conjugate the word Sierras

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 03:33:24 PM »
That is some scary shet that baby Beanolar is crankin' out there.

beanolar

• Mudders
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 04:11:22 PM »
Tell me about it. It DOES NOT STOP!

beanolar

• Mudders
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 04:51:28 PM »
Now my entire library of mountain books seems to be riddled with grammatical errors. WTF.

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 06:04:26 PM »
That is some scary shet that baby Beanolar is crankin' out there.
Never a fan of the diaper collector. it got pretty stinky.

Yeah, you feed them and they keep growing. Before you know it they swipe your Iphone and tablet and send all of your friends 100 random photos.
Then you get random text from said friends saying...."secure your device"

Good times.

I'm not worthy.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 06:15:24 PM »
I’m not sure “Andy” would like what you did to his Joshua Tree guidebook.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 06:17:44 PM »
I like how you changed Sonoma to sonora.  that is very clever.

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 10:02:12 PM »
Lol
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge