Author Topic: Gigantic Fall at the Flumes Today  (Read 15057 times)

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
Re: Gigantic Fall at the Flumes Today
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2018, 10:51:11 PM »

I'm pretty sure Larry said someone dropped him 80 feet after he fell on Lava Falls and he hit the ground.

Larry was following the first pitch and fell in that last overhanging section. His belayer lost control of the rope and he decked. 85ft? 90ft? It earned him an evacuation, a stay in the hospital and a world of pain. Nothing was broken, however.

Zay

« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2018, 05:27:51 PM »
holy crap guys these stories are gnarly. Brad's account of Splatter Matt's history was pretty crazy too...

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2018, 07:15:14 PM »
I think my only broken hold fall was on Flumes (with Brad). Adam's Apple. Left hand knob/edge peeled, IIRC. May still have it.
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2018, 09:37:37 PM »
Larry’s fall does not sound pleasant...the route has a low angle section that would mess you up. Then to deck?
I'm not worthy.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2018, 05:12:46 AM »
May still have it.

You do. You're young, in love, go to the West Side Mud.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2018, 01:24:49 PM »
Spatter Matt was a bit wild.  He was at the ledge, saw a large load-stone and and asked if it looked good.  We all said no, it looked sketch.  At that point Matt said he was going for it even though we continued to object.  He launched and the load-stone erupted.  Matt tried to grab something but to no avail.  He came down the wall hit his foot pitched over backward smacked his head and shot toward the ground mostly head first.  About 4 feet from the ground he came to a stop and the force of the fall spun him in a circle.  The force of the spin caused the head wound to open and a stream of blood followed the arc of his spin.  During the fall Jeff who was belaying took as many steps backward as he could.  I manage to grab his shoulder after about a rotation and a half.  I know he was about 4 feet off the ground because fearing spinal injury I was supporting his upper body with my arms straight out.  His lower body was still being supported by the rope in his harness and his body was mostly level.  Stacy quickly came around and took over control of Matt and did an assessment.   Matt walked out on his own and Jeff carried his and Matt's pack.  I was amazed Matt could walk because I saw his knee buckle when his foot hit the wall and it was not pretty.  It was not a long fall but it was unsettling.

Here's to sweat in your eye

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2018, 03:45:05 PM »
You do. You're young, in love, go to the West Side Mud.

LOL, thx for the vote of confidence and the chuckle.

May still have the hand hold that broke too. :)
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge