Author Topic: The PCT Volume 37: Into the Evergreen State  (Read 12814 times)

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
Re: The PCT Volume 37: Into the Evergreen State
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2019, 06:28:19 PM »
why does T look irritated in that one pic?

If I was Vicki, I'd make you walk the rest of the way to the Canadian border. But you'll probably do it anyways, so i guess that's not much of a punishment for missing the fine-print. lol
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2019, 06:30:35 PM »

Can you mark where Mr Mud's house is on the map to give us some perspective?

Some of us don't know the state of Washington well (and why would I, since I live in California!).

No.

But as I said, it's 40 miles from Snoqualmie Pass. And the PCT crosses that in about 110 more trail miles (so his house is still well north of us).

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2019, 06:32:37 PM »

I don't see her looking that way in any photo?

But you know how photos are - one instant in time.

If I was Vicki, I'd make you walk the rest of the way to the Canadian border. But you'll probably do it anyways, so i guess that's not much of a punishment for missing the fine-print. lol

Hey, WE missed the "bridge out" label. You think I'm her boss or something? We work this stuff together.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2019, 08:10:28 PM »
Day Nine (of Nine):

On this last day I woke up at 5:00 a.m. to the sound of rain. Vicki woke up ten minutes later. I said to Vicki: "it's raining inside the tent." She listened and heard the drops. But with no coffee and barely awake, she didn't appear to believe me. She looked at me like I was daft and said: "no, it's raining outside."

I waited. "Oh, it's raining in the tent," she said. A weird event. It was cloudless outside and the rain was indeed in the tent. Apparently the temperature and air pressure (or some such mix) had hit just the right point. And all the condensation from five bodies over eight hours cut loose in a 20 minute period. We got wet (Tricia didn't even wake up).

At least we got an early start to the day.

After breakfast, Vicki walked us back to the trail:

Today's almost 16 mile hike would cross paved and well graveled roads three times before we finished. Since Vicki would drive past those intersections while we hiked, she decided to wait for us at each one. We didn't even carry packs for the first two legs:

The last leg was almost seven miles though and the skies were black as we ate lunch. It started to rain. And then it hailed. We took a pack and our water-proofs:

We finished the trip by crossing Forest Road 23 (well paved, virtually a highway), and continuing to a trailhead at PCT mile 2229.7 (from the Mexican border):

All three of us thought this was (another) very worthwhile adventure:

And we'll be back....

mt.reynier

• Lichen It
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2019, 08:13:49 PM »
I suspect that one particular reader of this thread will highly recognize those whitecaps and the breezy, cold conditions  ::)

So fun to see the area through your eyes and via the PCT ;D Sounds like you got a little of everything - sun, mist, wind, rain, hail and big ol' mountain views. Positively northwest-y!

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2019, 06:40:20 AM »
And two post-scripts.

On the way home we stopped and visited two universities that Tricia is considering, Oregon State University in Corvallis and University of Oregon in Eugene. She really, really liked University of Oregon (the Ducks):

Then when we got home we got her report card. Her GPA is 4.25. I still wish we could get her to slow down a little during this coming year....

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
  • my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2019, 06:42:00 AM »

I noticed the same thing and thought maybe it was aggravation and concern about the mosquitoes Brad mentioned - remember - Brad is hardly bothered by mozzies and T gets annihilated. :yikes:
One wheel shy of normal

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2019, 06:43:22 AM »
Why does she look so happy in that pic?  ;)

On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
  • my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2019, 06:47:36 AM »
Why does she look so happy in that pic?  ;)

Like water off a duck's back.
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2019, 06:50:29 AM »
Eugene, Oregon seems like a long way from home to me. But it's one of about 10 schools she's seriously vetting.

And I have to admit that, having taken the two hour tour of campus with her, I also got a good feeling about the place.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2019, 06:55:07 AM »
Very nice.  So many good pictures.  You folks are awesome.
Here's to sweat in your eye

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2019, 10:33:12 AM »
Meanwhile, in another state....

Katie hiked 15 pounds of food in to the Dawsons over Kearsarge Pass yesterday. Jim and Tonya joined her, starting from Onion Valley at 5:30 a.m.

She said that the Dawsons looked pretty hammered from all of the snow and the difficult/dangerous stream crossings (Steve looks kinda blown out in the photo below). But they summited Whitney and they're on schedule.

And why am I not surprised that she hiked out with the trail garbage from a whole bunch of extra PCT through-hikers (not just Dawsons). Oh, and that after also offering those through-hikers shots of whiskey!

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2019, 09:46:59 AM »
The only problem with Eugene (other than the fact it is in Oregon) is all the hippies.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2019, 10:02:27 AM »

The only problem with Eugene (other than the fact it is in Oregon) is all the hippies.

You think that's different in any other university town? And what's wrong with young kids being "hippies' for a while before they settle down to a lifetime of slaving?

BTW, Mud, I finished planning our next trip last evening. Our current plan is to finish at Chinook Pass (on the east side of Rainier National Park) on Wednesday, July 24th.

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2019, 10:54:20 AM »
gee Mr Mud what do you have against Oregon?
Their beer is better than Washingtons.
I'm not worthy.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2019, 11:19:26 AM »
 Spent the last few days in Oregon. I am thinking about opening a school in southern Oregon to teach the locals how to walk.

I realized that hipsterized Shakespeare doesn't interest me. Next try, will shoot for a SF ballet or for a play, a high school/junior college theater group.

The food was great :) The country and mountains were beautiful.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2019, 01:04:01 PM »
Other than the being a hippy part not much.  I do agree that they should get out there and have some fun.  However they may do it.  And, now a days stay away from cameras. 

I will put that on the calendar. 

You think that's different in any other university town? And what's wrong with young kids being "hippies' for a while before they settle down to a lifetime of slaving?

BTW, Mud, I finished planning our next trip last evening. Our current plan is to finish at Chinook Pass (on the east side of Rainier National Park) on Wednesday, July 24th.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2019, 01:04:55 PM »
oh, jeepers.
gee Mr Mud what do you have against Oregon?
Their beer is better than Washingtons.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2019, 01:20:53 PM »

Spent the last few days in Oregon. I am thinking about opening a school in southern Oregon to teach the locals how to walk.

I realized that hipsterized Shakespeare doesn't interest me. Next try, will shoot for a SF ballet or for a play, a high school/junior college theater group.

The food was great :) The country and mountains were beautiful.

The PCT crosses I-5 just south of Ashland. I assume that's where you were, and I assume that you checked out at least the crossing point (I can see it now as you stand there and observe the trail: "Wow, Brad was here...").

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2019, 04:44:21 PM »
Yep, we knew you had passed through by the abundant mesmerization residue.  :)

We did talk about your family's PCT journey over breakfast, a group of non PCTers that have family or friends who have done it/are doing it.
Causing trouble when not climbing.