Author Topic: 7th Annual PCAD (Pinnacles Climber Appreciation Days)  (Read 3933 times)

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
Re: 7th Annual PCAD (Pinnacles Climber Appreciation Days)
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 03:11:00 PM »

Encouraging all crew leaders (clink, Brad, KC, climberdude, Bruce, Yo-so-mighty) to share what they did and post some pics.
One wheel shy of normal

briham89

• Mudders
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2019, 03:16:39 PM »
Great event! Thanks again

climberdude

• Mudders
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 04:39:06 PM »
My group cleaned up the climber approach trails to the top of Discovery Wall, Teaching Rock, The Upper Crust, The Sisters, and up to Gertie's Pinnacle.  We encountered very little trash, but a few pieces of toilet paper and lots of trimming the brush on the sides.

Hats off to the event organizers.  I really enjoyed the tacos and the raffle/auction.

lasher

• Lichen It
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2019, 08:07:32 PM »
Following Clink we cleared the trail to the Hand the the Frog.  Alex really enjoyed the McLeod and went to work on flattening the trail and "raking" the pine and oak leaves.

Alex clearing stumps from the trail

Bruce wowing the crowd with his stories

Laura and Wolfie clearing brush on the approach to the Hand

Alex showing his handy work

Trail crew taking a break

JC w KC redux

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2019, 08:23:46 PM »
Those are great Steve.
Kat's comment was "Alex has really come into his own".
Nice root ball and orange shirt in that first pic and goofin' in the last one - gave me a chuckle.
So glad you all made it this year  :thumbup: :biggrin: :yesnod:
One wheel shy of normal

lasher

• Lichen It
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2019, 08:35:05 PM »
We had a great time.  Really glad we were able to find a dog sitter so we could stay the whole weekend. 

Watching Alex with the confidence to go down and belay Lexi, and then catch a lead fall, was one of those things that makes a parent is both proud and terrified.  He made it sound like it was no big deal, but anytime you hold someones life in your hands is a big deal.  Afterward Lexi told us that if we said he was good belayer then she trusted our judgment.  Glad she was right ;)

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2019, 05:42:03 AM »

That was a fine day of work and I enjoyed being with all of you!
Causing trouble when not climbing.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2019, 06:05:44 AM »
My crew of 12 hiked up toward Marmot Rocks from The Monolith and then brushed the upper and middle trails out to Marmot's north side. Both of these are use-trails, having developed over many, many years of use. Both needed work; the middle trail especially had been completely obliterated by a fallen pine. We also used cut brush to obscure the "braided" alternates that had been developing. These trails are in great shape now.

We then moved down and around the north side of Yaks Wall. I've been using this approach to the north side of Yaks since the mid 1980s and don't ever recall this use-trail being so brushy. Now? It's as good as I've ever seen it.

The hillside south, along Yaks Wall, is mostly grass. We removed what brush needed removing while consolidating a series of braided trails into one.

From the saddle between Yaks and The Hanging Valley, we then cleared the trail through Hanging Valley, down past Kasperaks, to the creek, all the way to the point where we'd cleared that trail working upstream last year.

This was unquestionably one of the two physically hardest PCAD work days I've ever been on. Very satisfying.

Thanks to John, Kathy, Jon, Aaron, Caleb, Dina, and John of NPS (and others who were a little less directly involved) for keeping the momentum of this event going year after year.

Tuff Chik

• Mudders
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2019, 06:22:32 AM »
My team of 8 (9 including Keenan) hiked up Condor Gulch to the High Peaks to pick up trash.  Once we got to the split for The Steep and Narrow trail and the Tunnel Trail we split in to two groups so we could cover more ground.  We hooked back up at the Outhouse and back down the trail to Bear Gulch.  We found numerous water bottles, several beer and pop cans, one glass beer bottle, one hat and way too much TP.  Would be nice if we could teach people to carry a little plastic baggie to pack their TP back out.  Fun was had by all.  I'll see if I can get JC to post some pictures for me. 

Thanks again everyone for making this another successful event.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2019, 08:33:40 AM »
My team of 8 (9 including Keenan) hiked up Condor Gulch to the High Peaks to pick up trash.  Once we got to the split for The Steep and Narrow trail and the Tunnel Trail we split in to two groups so we could cover more ground.  We hooked back up at the Outhouse and back down the trail to Bear Gulch.  We found numerous water bottles, several beer and pop cans, one glass beer bottle, one hat and way too much TP.  Would be nice if we could teach people to carry a little plastic baggie to pack their TP back out.  Fun was had by all.  I'll see if I can get JC to post some pictures for me. 
Thanks again everyone for making this another successful event.

What do I look like? Your little orange servant boy?  :nono: :biggrin: :lol:

Kat's crew

One wheel shy of normal

beanolar

• Mudders
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2019, 05:32:42 PM »
Thanks all for the great time, and clean up work. And for the cake and stuff. Cheryl had a taco piƱata, will bring it to the next one. Good work, good show, let's do it again! :) :)

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2019, 05:35:08 PM »

...let's do it again! :) :)

Queue up Noal with a music video (yeah, but maybe that song ain't his style).

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2019, 06:02:39 PM »

mt.reynier

• Lichen It
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2019, 05:23:30 PM »
Team #WeHikedFar picked up trash by the Reservoir, in Bear Gulch, under Discovery Wall and all the way out (and back) from Chalone Peak!

Bruce pointing out all the classics.

Almost to the top of Chalone Peak with garbage in tow.

Wait, that's not garbage!

Thanks for another great year!

JC w KC redux

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2019, 06:25:45 PM »
Hey Whitney - I only see your first picture.
Did you go to Rubble Wall? That's where all the classics are  :thumbup: :biggrin: :yesnod: :lol: :ihih:
One wheel shy of normal

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2019, 06:52:23 PM »
Bruce pointing out all the classics.

Next year I'm going with Bruce and bringing Johnny. So count me out for anything else for that work day.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

mt.reynier

• Lichen It
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2019, 06:07:12 PM »
Some day I'll figure out how to work the internet