Author Topic: Tricia's Off to College  (Read 12903 times)

clink

• Meanderthal
Re: Tricia's Off to College
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2020, 07:12:20 AM »
They're planning on live classes, with precautions and possible adjustments.

Can't imagine a person better prepared for these times than Tricia. Starting college is hard, I have seen most of the young people I know of, struggle, but find their balance and then do well and enjoy college. In these current conditions it will certainly be a greater challenge. Hence the benefit of having lived an adjustable and adventurous life.

Life doesn't hold still for long, have a great year starting college Tricia! (Yes, your parents are not-normal, but in a good way)

Causing trouble when not climbing.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2020, 02:37:12 PM »
Today was the "drop dead" day for the University of Oregon to decide whether classes would go forward in person or remotely.

We're relieved. They're going to go forward with a cautious mix. Freshman will have the option to be present on campus, in the dorms and in (small) classes. Or not if they make that choice.

I like the university president's email and the university's approach. Testing for students on arrival and five days later. Lots and lots of other precautions. It sounds like it's going to be a good balance.

We think it matters a lot for Tricia to be on campus for her first year. And now she can. We'll be keeping our fingers crossed that this thing goes smoothly (toes too?).

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2020, 02:41:37 PM »
The best to you and yours.
Here's to sweat in your eye

Tuff Chik

• Mudders
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2020, 03:43:01 PM »
YAY!  I thought about her this morning because I remembered Vicki saying today was the day the decision would be made.  Happy she is going to get to experience Freshman year on campus.  Keeping good thoughts for her.

briham89

• Mudders
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2020, 02:55:00 PM »
Yay!

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2020, 06:53:39 PM »
Well, it's still a go. Tricia is leaving tomorrow for live college. Saturday morning she tests for COVID and then, if she's OK, she moves in on Sunday. Her roomate's name is Lily and they've been texting quite a bit.

We're still keeping our fingers crossed though.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2020, 09:41:09 AM »
Well, well, well. Eugene is rainy and wet. But everything is going smoothly so far. Theoretically she moves in tomorrow.

briham89

• Mudders
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2020, 08:17:55 AM »
That rain was an extremely welcome site here. Your timing is super lucky. The smoke for the past week was the worst I have ever seen. Glad that it cleared up for you guys! It looks like another rain storm is coming Wednesday - Friday. Hoping this one really knocks the fires down.

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2020, 10:43:43 AM »
All of our rain dances worked! Have a great start, Tricia!

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2020, 08:43:19 AM »
Four students on her hall are now in quarantine (in a separate dorm?). Tricia is pissed because those four carelessly went out and about town unmasked.

Meanwhile, the other kid was feeling like she had a cold and took a test just to be cautious. She's COVID positive (!!!) and is in quarantine at her home (pretty sure her untested roommate's symptoms must have been more than a cold).

And the year of the f#$ked just gets more f#$ked.

mt.reynier

• Lichen It
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2020, 03:51:22 PM »
Oh no!  :(  Hope the Montana kid recovers quickly and Tricia continues to ward off the dorm spreaders with Lysol spray...

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2020, 04:36:38 PM »
Bummers, take care

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2020, 09:05:07 PM »
Our first night in a kid-free home in 25 years  8)

(Meaning no kids living here with us; and the last week doesn't count because the Putnams were staying here with their two year old boy Owen - now there's a source of noise!!).

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2020, 05:39:41 PM »
I can spare a kid!!!!
I'm not worthy.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2020, 06:06:04 PM »

I can spare a kid!!!!

Nice! Drop one off this weekend.

Let him know ahead of time though that he'll be attending school virtually from here in the mornings.

In the afternoons he'll be applying himself to his homework vigorously and then splitting and stacking firewood. We'll feed him dinner and allow him to pet the dog if he works hard enough.

I'll supply the splitting maul.

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2020, 06:09:06 PM »
Perfect Brad, just perfect.

Congratulations on an empty house, well done.

I'm not worthy.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2020, 10:32:31 AM »
University of Oregon Woman's rowing team (look to the bottom right). Who'd a thought that this would be one of her new interests?

Go Ducks:

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2020, 10:35:59 AM »
The above photo was taken on top of Spencer's Butte, near town. Apparently that morning's workout was a very early hike in sub-freezing temps.

Here's the view from the top (she's promised to hike it with me as soon as we're up there again):

mt.reynier

• Lichen It
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2020, 03:07:35 PM »
That's awesome! One of my friends in college rowed and she LOVED it. I bet T will be really good at it - she's developed a high pain tolerance ;)

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2020, 05:01:18 PM »
beautiful