Author Topic: Please Stay Home - The Statistics  (Read 19471 times)

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
Re: Please Stay Home - The Statistics
« Reply #140 on: April 24, 2020, 04:42:30 PM »
Looking at some other statistics before the forum potentially goes POOF.
There are 212 people registered.
62 people registered and never posted.
27 people registered and only posted once. Of those - two were notable - Higgins and Gagner
19 people registered and only posted twice. (my favorite was mis_demeanor - that was a fun day - clink, NOAL)
I looked at this out of pure curiosity when I saw a couple new people register the last few days.

One wheel shy of normal

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2020, 07:51:12 AM »

A greenish-silver lining.

San Francisco Chronicle
Editorial: California has a chance for a green future after the coronavirus. Don’t waste it
 Chronicle Editorial Board 4 hrs ago
Trump expands battle with World Health Organization
8 undrafted free agents who could make waves
Bears are taking over Yosemite meadows, and coyotes are wandering city streets. Hilltop sunsets never looked more pure and bright. Around the world, smog-glazed skies are giving way to blue vistas and fresh air. A deadly pandemic is slowing human activity and boosting wildlife in startling ways.

With oil selling at near giveaway prices and airlines virtually grounded, there are fewer emissions pouring out. More widely, tailpipes from millions of cars and trucks are idled by stay-at-home orders. NASA space shots show far less pollution in familiar population and industrial centers across the country.

If history counts, this fairy tale picture won’t last once the viral outbreak fades, whenever that is. When recessions end, there’s a rapid upswing in economic and everyday life. Billions of people around the globe can’t wait to get back behind the wheel and go to work or school. For now, at a huge human price, the planet’s natural environment is catching a break.

That change to a greener world comes at an enormous and painful price. Even more, scientists say that greenhouse gas emissions will need to come down much further and be sustained for decades if the world is to escape a disastrous rise in temperature. A scathing outbreak is no way to achieve that goal.

Given the right leadership and thinking, there’s a chance to learn from the pandemic’s whipsaw harm. As society reknits, there should be thought about what to do differently. We’re getting a look at what clean skies and clean water and clean air feel like, a vision of what could be.

That should be one guiding thought for Gov. Gavin Newsom’s 80-member economic renewal commission. That group, announced this week, includes business, labor and politicians given the task of restarting a moribund business world.

It should come up with more than tax gimmicks or handout programs. Instead it should offer a broader look at what California can do to rebuild itself in new and lasting ways. While the state scrambles back on its feet, the panel could provide guidance in directing California forward, not simply type up bland recommendations soon forgotten.

Think big, please.

There are lots of options. Renewable energy can be encouraged or required more broadly. More fuel-sipping or electric vehicles can make a difference. Sturdier and more reliable power systems are needed and, yes, that’s a thought directed at PG&E. Prior to stay-home mandates, California once again hosted the dirtiest air the nation, led by cities in the Central Valley, Los Angeles basin and the Bay Area. The lung-clogging results make it easier for the coronavirus to take hold.

On the local level there are small stabs at noticeable changes. Street closures in Oakland and San Francisco designed to soothe spirits for pedestrians and cyclists may linger as a way to draw people out of cars. New habits, such as ordering food or working from home, may lead to changes that improve the environment. Even as the Bay Area staggers through the pandemic, its public transit is lumping along as a mainstay system that must be preserved. Medical care is being tested in new ways and needs to adjust to populations long overlooked.

Those observations pale next to the larger task of restarting an economy shattered by shutdowns, deaths and a looming second wave of infections. Experts aren’t even sure how many cases are lingering undetected in the population. For now, containing the coronavirus is job one, and California is determined to clamp down on the risky urge to open up too soon.

This state’s leaders, from county health officers to Sacramento lawmakers, have reacted quickly and forcefully. They should so again when it comes to redesigning energy, transportation, water and planning rules. The political adage of never letting a crisis go to waste is proving apt.

The state needs to plan on an eventual comeback and what it will look like. The horrific strength of the coronavirus is creating a sweeping opportunity to safeguard the environment and redirect growth. Otherwise, it’s back to smoggy days, dirty water and crowded freeways.

California, along with the rest of the world, has a chance to rebuild itself. It would be a tragedy to think in old ways.

This commentary is from The Chronicle’s editorial board. We invite you to express your views in a letter to the editor. Please submit your letter via our online form: SFChronicle.com/letters.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #142 on: April 26, 2020, 08:36:29 AM »
Off the grid living Would be nice
I'm not worthy.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #143 on: April 26, 2020, 11:37:19 AM »

While staying at home I became a vegetable garden, no, I started a vegetable garden. It's been a while.

Purchased a galvanized fire ring, lined it with poultry netting, and filled it with organic soil(soil from earth, not the moon). I bought two tomato plants, one standard and a heirloom. Named them Oscar and Grover.

I rarely buy heirloom tomatoes because they cost so much but will try to grow some. The variety I chose is Pink Berkeley Tie Dye, Port wine colored beefsteak with metallic green stripes. Sweet and rich, earthy flavored tomato.

Besides water and organic fertilizer and mulch from our bin I sing to it and recite poetry. My music choice to encourage vigorous growth will be a blend of Pink Floyd, Metallica, and Green Day.

Last tomato I tried to grow was started too late in the season and it(Bruce) managed to produce only one fruit.

(I know this is dumb but since I am not on FB, I am a nuisance here)

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2020, 11:49:28 AM »

...Named them Oscar and Grover.

...I sing to it and recite poetry. My music choice to encourage vigorous growth will be a blend of Pink Floyd, Metallica, and Green Day.

Damn. You managed to stay sooo close to the edge for so long without actually going over it.

I supposed it couldn't last forever....

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #145 on: April 26, 2020, 07:13:51 PM »
Funny shit Noal, keep it up.
Here's to sweat in your eye

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2020, 06:02:41 AM »

Whim Sickle Health Guidance-cutting down your chances of dying today.

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2020, 06:14:03 PM »

I've always trusted your ability to stay alive, Clink. I have doubts about the effect of your voice on tomatoes, however.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #148 on: May 01, 2020, 06:51:22 PM »

Kaiser Blade Health Guidance
One wheel shy of normal

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2020, 07:53:46 PM »
I have doubts about the effect of your voice on tomatoes, however.

Waldo, Oscar and Grover are at about 15 times their planting weight and thriving. Sometimes I have to put my Julie on.

Sprayer heads on hoses and cats with dead gophers
  Vines on wood trellises and slip-on suede loafers
  Mocking birds doing impossible swoops in the air
  All things I enjoy when I haven't a care

JC w KC redux

« Reply #150 on: May 02, 2020, 08:09:59 AM »
^^^
Your meter isn't quite working for me.
One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #151 on: May 02, 2020, 01:40:27 PM »
New song writing team of clink and clunk

Spray heads on hoses and cats with dead gophers
  Wood trellis vineyards and slip-on suede loafers
  Mocking birds swooping in cool morning air
  Things I enjoy when I haven't a care

Needs another verse and a chorus.  :thumbup: :biggrin: :guitar: :blahblah:

One wheel shy of normal

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #152 on: May 03, 2020, 05:48:28 AM »
Waldo, Oscar and Grover are at about 15 times their planting weight and thriving. Sometimes I have to put my Julie on.

Sprayer heads on hoses and cats with dead gophers
  Vines on wood trellises and slip-on suede loafers
  Mocking birds doing impossible swoops in the air
  All things I enjoy when I haven't a care

Wow! Now I'll have to dust off my Doris Day!

K-sirrah, sirrah, whatever will bee will beeee!

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #153 on: May 03, 2020, 07:56:38 AM »

Wow! Now I'll have to dust off my Doris Day!

K-sirrah, sirrah, whatever will bee will beeee!

:D

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #154 on: May 03, 2020, 03:14:53 PM »

Nice, Waldo.

Now I'll have to dust off my Doris Day!
Do you need help? I always wanted to do some exhuming.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #155 on: May 03, 2020, 05:19:38 PM »

Is no one going to state the obvious?
Julie Andrews sang that tune in The Sound of Music (clink's lyrics sung to the tune of My Favorite Things).

No denying Doris Day was quite the hot Hollywood Property in her day.

Maybe what the World Needs Now is a Tinsel Town Rebellion  :guitar: :blahblah: :lol: :yesnod: :thumbup:
One wheel shy of normal

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #156 on: May 03, 2020, 06:57:19 PM »
WTF where has this thread gone??
I'm not worthy.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #157 on: May 03, 2020, 08:26:24 PM »
WTF where has this thread gone??

More appropriately - Where Have All the Flowers Gone?
One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #158 on: May 04, 2020, 08:23:06 AM »
No post is completely worthless.
It can always serve as a bad example.
One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #159 on: May 04, 2020, 09:27:59 AM »
The song for today should be Ohio (thanks Neil).

Can't believe it has been 50 years.
One wheel shy of normal