Author Topic: Please Stay Home - The Statistics  (Read 19730 times)

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
Re: Please Stay Home - The Statistics
« Reply #160 on: May 04, 2020, 09:29:02 AM »
WTF where has this thread gone??

Into every thread...a little chubby rain must fall.
One wheel shy of normal

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #161 on: May 05, 2020, 10:16:10 AM »
More appropriately - Where Have All the Flowers Gone?

Long time passing . . . This could get scary if we start exhuming the Kingston Trio!  "Hang down your head, ?????"

JC w KC redux

« Reply #162 on: May 08, 2020, 04:24:43 PM »

Kat and I watched Michael Moore's new film last night.
I will never look at solar panels, windmills or electric cars the same again.
It's available free on YouTube or on their website (planetofthehumans.com)

Planet of the Humans - I loved the lettering done in the exact style of the original Planet of the Apes.

I watched the response to critics segment with Moore and company this morning. It pops up after the film if you use the Tube.

Spoiler Alert - it does not end with Goddamn you all to hell!

but it probably should...
One wheel shy of normal

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #163 on: May 08, 2020, 04:43:40 PM »
Humanity is doomed, it is our destiny to fail miserably and then tell everyone around us how great we are.
Here's to sweat in your eye

Gavin

• Gavin Emmons Photography
« Reply #164 on: May 09, 2020, 07:30:56 AM »
Kat and I watched Michael Moore's new film last night.
I will never look at solar panels, windmills or electric cars the same again.
It's available free on YouTube or on their website (planetofthehumans.com)

Planet of the Humans - I loved the lettering done in the exact style of the original Planet of the Apes.

I watched the response to critics segment with Moore and company this morning. It pops up after the film if you use the Tube.

Spoiler Alert - it does not end with Goddamn you all to hell!

but it probably should...

Interesting... I thought the "Planet of the Humans" movie was very misleading and does a real disservice to concerted efforts to fight climate change using renewables and greener technology.

For a balanced, critical review of some of the problems with the movie, see the review on Vox:

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/28/21238597/michael-moore-planet-of-the-humans-climate-change

And for a more entertaining but very accurate take on the problems with the movie, see the following review - the reviewer's comparison of bicycles and cars (as a stand-in for the movie director's lame take on green energy versus the fossil fuel industry) is particularly good and reinforces the absurdity of the movie's premise:

https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/planet-of-humans-review/

Basically, the movie suggests that green energy is "bad" because it uses destructive resources, but this use of resources pales in comparison with the existing fossil fuel driven industrial complex. And the director *never* admits that point, which seems very misleading to viewers. As the second article above explains, it is like saying that bicycles are "bad" because their construction requires use of "bad" resources, so really they are just as bad as cars. This is clearly not the case given the much less intensive production chains that manufacture of bicycles requires, and the benefits over time of riding bicycles rather than spewing CO2 and other pollutants into the atmosphere from cars.

The director also suggests that green energy or renewables are dumb or pointless because they can't even power more than a toaster, i.e. limited energy use. This is just plain wrong, and really borders on the director lying to viewers - he draws information from old renewable tech rather than the newer developments in the last 5 years, and he fails to acknowledge strides in more efficient and long-term storage capacity, much more efficient energy generation from solar, development of storage grids and transmission to account for off-peak times of energy use in certain areas... and the list goes on.

Basically the director states that "you need to look closely to see the real effects of green energy"... But ironically he has not done due diligence himself to present a more fair assessment of the value of using green energy to reduce overall CO2 emissions. The reality is that in comparison with what we are doing now focused on fossil fuel industry, renewable alternatives scaled effectively and extensively could indeed draw down global emissions by 50% or more. We just need the social and political will to push those technologies, and certainly the humility to revise or reject certain attempts that backfire and do not work well.

Anyway, check out the above articles, and sorry for the rant... I get kind of worked up about information like the Gibbs / Moore film that seem accurate on the surface but contain a lot of misleading information, lies by omission, and promote the defeatist vibe that is so easy to fall into these days.

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #165 on: May 09, 2020, 07:55:44 AM »
Gavin, how goes it in the monument?
I'm not worthy.

Gavin

• Gavin Emmons Photography
« Reply #166 on: May 09, 2020, 09:02:59 AM »
It's going well enough - I feel thankful to have paid work, and of course feel very fortunate to live out here.

The spring season has been beautiful, and it is strange to see the park in full bloom with so few visitors. It has been so quiet, especially with the decrease in airplane / helicopter traffic overhead.

I've been out climbing infrequently, mostly to areas that are further afield. But work has been busy - overall park staffing has been a skeleton crew with a number of folks on safety leave (that have preexisting conditions making them more susceptible to the virus), and with a number of position vacancies even before the pandemic hit. We're doing the best we can collectively but feel stretched pretty thin.

Overall I feel pretty lucky that friends, family, Alacia, and I are healthy and doing well given these crazy times.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #167 on: May 09, 2020, 10:30:04 AM »
Most of the film footage and data used to make the film is old. I've never liked Michael Moore. For a person who is against big business he sure has a lot of money. His films tend to preach to the converted.  The converted  are generally a demographic that  sees the world as totally screwed, unjust, hopeless, and beyond repair.  As Gavin stated defeatist.

This video goes over footage from the film and compares it to up to date info and statistics.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #168 on: May 09, 2020, 01:05:20 PM »
Most of the film footage and data used to make the film is old. I've never liked Michael Moore. For a person who is against big business he sure has a lot of money. His films tend to preach to the converted.  The converted  are generally a demographic that  sees the world as totally screwed, unjust, hopeless, and beyond repair.  As Gavin stated defeatist.

This video goes over footage from the film and compares it to up to date info and statistics.

Wow! I just finished watching that video and it is great. Thanks NOAL  :thumbup: :biggrin: :yesnod: :arf:
One wheel shy of normal

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #169 on: May 09, 2020, 01:32:02 PM »
Hey Gavin, well in the outside world...at Shoreline in Mtn View an Osprey pair have decided to nest (although I have not seen 2 at the same time. The area is roped off and the PD had to break up the crowds of Birders...not sure if Batons and Pepper Spray were needed. Comical since I just see this 1 bird chilling, not even moving a hair....I want to yell to it WAKE UP!!!

Noal, I agree with you sentiment. Yes, he made a great movie about how economics and Blue collar work go hand in hand for an area. Showing that industry is a critical part of an areas economic success. Great point, but sorry that is life and evolution...things change. He tends to go to an extreme, and maybe there needs to be people like that on the left (but not the right). Be nice to see him donate more.
It would be funny if he made a movie about REI and cook up some dark secret about it....

Give me a Coastal rural place to live with a boat to fish from, land to grow veggies and I'd be fine with that.
I'm not worthy.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #170 on: May 09, 2020, 02:49:43 PM »
He tends to go to an extreme, and maybe there needs to be people like that on the left (but not the right).

I prefer that neither left or right be too extreme. Nothing gets solved or accomplished.

The 2000's were extremely good for Michael Moore.  He won an academy award, had the highest grossing documentary film of all time with farenheit 911, made many other high grossing films, and had a few books on the best sellers list.

With all of that said, I have never watched any of his films without a critical eye.  Like any other Hollywood film they are produced to make money, to entertain ,and provoke emotion. 

We should all hope that in the future the same opportunity  will not be given to the extreme right by the film making industry.

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #171 on: May 09, 2020, 03:35:54 PM »
Roger and Me was a key film to my Macro Econ class...to show the importance of industry to employ people.
I'm not worthy.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #172 on: May 10, 2020, 08:08:08 PM »

Happy Mudders Day!

And to all a good night...
One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #173 on: May 11, 2020, 02:20:38 PM »

Is everybody behaving?
Staying home or in your neighborhood to exercise?
Not climbing?
Finding other things to do?
Loving the masks?
Are you One More or One Less?

One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #174 on: May 11, 2020, 03:14:58 PM »

Attend grades 1-12 online.
Earn a college degree completely online.
Get a job working remotely (exclusively).
Computered from cradle to grave.
One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #175 on: May 11, 2020, 03:17:16 PM »

I just noticed that the you tube problem looks like it is fixed - scroll up to NOAL's post.

Nice job team mudder!
One wheel shy of normal

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #176 on: May 11, 2020, 06:23:51 PM »
I’d be out retro bolting!!!
I'm not worthy.

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #177 on: May 11, 2020, 06:37:50 PM »
And my post counts are back.

Yay!
I'm not worthy.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #178 on: May 11, 2020, 08:15:22 PM »
I’d be out retro bolting!!!

I think you should have at least one pink square.
One wheel shy of normal

JC w KC redux

« Reply #179 on: May 11, 2020, 08:16:30 PM »
And my post counts are back.
Yay!

They must have been under quarantine.
One wheel shy of normal