Author Topic: Please Stay Home - The Statistics  (Read 19450 times)

F4?

• unworthy
Re: Please Stay Home - The Statistics
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 01:02:09 PM »
I was once asked why drink cold beer on a warm day...to help cool off.

Then asked why drink cold beer on a cold day....what else are you going to do!!
I'm not worthy.

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 01:45:36 PM »
I was once asked why drink cold beer on a warm day...to help cool off.

Then asked why drink cold beer on a cold day....what else are you going to do!!

Hot sake.
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2020, 09:54:16 AM »

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2020, 10:27:58 AM »
Alright, I'm reviving this thread because it raises good issues. There are three related concerns, really:

1. We're all supposed to "stay in place," although there are exceptions for necessary jobs and/or recreation. The Governor's message that went with his stay-in-place order even specifically mentioned recreation (although not climbing specifically - what was he thinking!). And no matter what we are doing, we're supposed to maintain social distancing.

I don't disagree with these requirements, which to me seem somewhat like buying a new rope if/when one becomes worried about the current rope's integrity. We're trying to be cautious while facing something that is serious and might be really, really serious.

I've been doing the recreation part lately by way of long walks with dogs and rain gear.

2. Even though recreating is OK, we're also supposed to to avoid needing medial care that isn't Covid 19 related. And, as part of this, to also avoid SAR situations, so that SAR personnel aren't exposed to quarantine time and the like (this seems to be the main topic of the originating post on this thread).

This is a smart idea too, although I've seen the "don't-need-SAR" idea discussed regarding specifically "dangerous" sports.

3. Staying at home will soon drive people crazy (a shorter drive for some than for others). It's been rainy of late. And so staying at home, polishing gear, reading, sorting gear, playing games, polishing gear, and deep-cleaning the house have been OK.

But where's the balance point between all three of these issues?

It's easy to camp while maintaining social distancing (bathrooms might be an exception, but it's possible to use only the bathroom in one's van, not camp in an established campground, and/or clean bathroom surfaces before and after use). Is camping a "dangerous sport?"

What about hiking? And how about easy climbing? Both of these activities can be done while "social distancing" (rope solo, or with people one lives with). Can these be done in a way that isn't "dangerous?"

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2020, 01:33:53 PM »
Just use common sense and your best judgement.  Notice the governor said things like go for a bike ride, get food from a drive thru, go for a walk etc.  All of these things can be risky endeavors depending how you execute them.

Houses have their dangers too.   A musician friend of mine a couple of years ago slipped, fell down his basement stairs, and died.  So there you go.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2020, 01:37:50 PM »

Just use common sense and your best judgement.  Notice the governor said things like go for a bike ride, get food from a drive thru, go for a walk etc.  All of these things can be risky endeavors depending how you execute them.

Thanks. I'd left my thoughts out on purpose for now. But you've made it really easy for me to state them: The part of your post quoted above mirrors my thoughts exactly.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2020, 01:43:56 PM »

Houses have their dangers too.   A musician friend of mine a couple of years ago slipped, fell down his basement stairs, and died.  So there you go.

Regarding this second part of your post: Yes, just living can be dangerous.

My equivalent story is regarding a friend who shared our last name (we joked about being "cousins"). His wife taught at the high school.

He was home alone one day doing house maintenance. He somehow fell and landed on his neck, over a deck joist. He died instantly (which, looked at with a sense of humor all these years later, at least would not have burdened SAR, an ambulance and/or other health care providers).

Tuolumne County had its first positive test for Covid 19 late yesterday. A visitor from Mono County.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2020, 01:47:48 PM »
Honestly, my biggest worry is to not transmit it to an innocent third party (if I'm carrying it and haven't yet found out).

So I'm being careful to avoid others. Although my office is still open - we can't just ignore our clients' legal rights and so we've kept at least a few things going. Even there, everything gets wiped down every time it is used, and all of us are working from home as much as we can.

briham89

• Mudders
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2020, 01:51:06 PM »
I agree with the common sense point for sure.

However, it seems like a slippery slope (or maybe a false equivalence?) to imply that, "well you could die in your house". What does that even mean for this current situation? Since you can die on your stairs, can you now go rock climbing, base jumping? How does that change anything?

At the end of the day we are supposed to stay inside for the time being, except for basic necessities which includes exercise.

"Exercise" is open ended enough to let all of our minds wander. Especially the more bored we all get.
For example I went surfing yesterday. I went to an unpopular spot and was the only person there. 500 yards to my left there were 30 guys all sitting right next to each other going for one wave. The place I chose to go seemed "responsible" to me. But we are all going to have a different bar for what that is....so after all this rambling I come back to.....common sense.

I'm bored. Hi everyone

briham89

• Mudders
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2020, 01:52:07 PM »
Honestly, my biggest worry is to not transmit it to an innocent third party (if I'm carrying it and haven't yet found out).

That's mine as well, and it should be! The whole point of this is to stop exactly that (or the vice versa version of that).

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2020, 02:10:29 PM »

"Exercise" is open ended enough to let all of our minds wander. Especially the more bored we all get.
For example I went surfing yesterday. I went to an unpopular spot and was the only person there. 500 yards to my left there were 30 guys all sitting right next to each other going for one wave. The place I chose to go seemed "responsible" to me. But we are all going to have a different bar for what that is....so after all this rambling I come back to.....common sense.

I'm bored. Hi everyone

As a climbing example, I wouldn't climb at Discovery Wall right now. But would likely feel fine climbing at a remote part of Pinnacles.

And I wouldn't likely do the types of climbing on which I'm less solid (no redpointing projects, not getting crazy, being really conservative on bolting - is that last one even a change though?).

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2020, 02:20:48 PM »

For example I went surfing yesterday. I went to an unpopular spot and was the only person there. 500 yards to my left there were 30 guys all sitting right next to each other going for one wave. The place I chose to go seemed "responsible" to me.

Makes me wonder how ocean water and/or ocean water mist (when you're right down on the waves on a surfboard) might or might not affect the virus?

briham89

• Mudders
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2020, 02:26:52 PM »
No one knows right now. That's why I'm trying to play it safe and surf alone.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2020, 02:38:06 PM »

No one knows right now. That's why I'm trying to play it safe and surf alone.

Didn't George Thorogood do a song about that?

[Noal will have to link the song here]

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2020, 04:20:04 PM »

I'm bored. Hi everyone

I'm so bored sitting at home that I decided to memorize six pages of the dictionary.
I learned next to nothing.

briham89

• Mudders
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2020, 04:47:46 PM »
next to nothing

Haha  ::)

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2020, 05:15:24 PM »
Speaking of books, did I ever tell you about my friend who claims that he “accidentally” glued himself to his autobiography?

I don’t believe him.

But that’s his story, and he’s sticking to it.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2020, 05:18:00 PM »

I'm bored. Hi everyone

Yesterday I purchased a world map. What else are you going to do in these times?

When I got home, I gave Vicki a dart and said to her: "throw this and wherever it lands, I'm taking you for a holiday."

It turns out that we're going to spend three weeks behind the fridge.

briham89

• Mudders
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2020, 06:05:11 PM »
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2020, 06:16:17 PM »
Tuolumne County had its first positive test for Covid 19 late yesterday. A visitor from Mono County.

Bummer, to bring a disease to another county, and be from a county that has a disease for a name.
Causing trouble when not climbing.