Author Topic: Alabama Hills update  (Read 1682 times)

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
  • my density has brought me to you...
Alabama Hills update
« on: December 06, 2020, 09:01:52 AM »

We've been to the Hills a couple times this year and there are some disturbing things happening there.
I know - we don't need any more bad news.
It's basically people behaving badly.
Poop not buried, toilet paper strewn, fire rings scattered everywhere (including at the base of some routes) and just general disregard and disrespect (by multiple user groups) for the land.
The BLM had a meeting over the summer and it looks like in the near future they may severely limit or completely disallow dispersed camping. They also have clauses to potentially ban climbing, new route activity or to allow such activities by permit only.

We've been over there a few times to get some fun in before things get worse.
We also spent time picking up trash, breaking up fire rings and burying the remains and washed a little soot from the base of routes.
If you head over, consider taking a shovel and garden rake - as well as trash pickers and trash bags. Every little bit helps.

Our trip the week before Thanksgiving was pretty cool. The temps were just right, crowds weren't too bad during the week (hardly any climbers) and the wind only had us hunkering down for a day and a half. We got some cool climbing in. I finally got over to The Loaf and did a couple of the longest routes in the Hills. I have wanted to do these routes for a long time but it's always too hot, too cold, too windy or the sun angle is wrong (sounds like I am making excuses huh?).

Ranger Ron 5.8*** and Pangborn 10a***** were the highlights of our last trip.
Here's a few pics (thanks to Deb).

Kat follows Ranger Ron (140 feet of climbing with a long section of sustained 5.7)
Pangborn is to the left of Ranger Ron, the same length but better (the only 5 star route we've done in the Hills).

Deb leads Leonosphere 5.7** (taken from Ranger Ron's anchor)

Me leading Friday the 13th 5.9***

Jupiter (larger of the two - up and left from the Moon) and Saturn with the Moon from our campsite at the Candy Store

One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
Re: Alabama Hills update
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 05:34:52 PM »
Excellent!!

Sad that users are trashing it/loving it to death.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 07:43:06 AM »

We are heading to Lone Pine today over hwy 88. When does 108 open typically(for next time)?
Causing trouble when not climbing.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2022, 08:22:35 AM »
May typically. Varies with snow levels. But they usually manage to get it open before memorial weekend.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
  • my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2022, 03:16:31 PM »
We are heading to Lone Pine today

I would be envious if you weren't totally lame.

Now DIE
One wheel shy of normal