Author Topic: Slab descents  (Read 2574 times)

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
Slab descents
« on: January 28, 2021, 02:12:17 PM »
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
Re: Slab descents
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 03:40:55 PM »
One of my favorite riders.  His style, his riding is so clean.  The other one is Brian Lopez who I think is fully retired now.  Both of those guys are a wonder to watch. 
Here's to sweat in your eye

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
  • my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 04:59:57 PM »
^^^
I liked the one you posted better (a long time ago) - where he rides down the "ridge" and eventually flips head first over the fence and just keeps going without missing a beat.
That one was also especially cool to me because Kat and I have been to the Black Cuillin.
Isle of Skye is unbelievable.
One wheel shy of normal

Chris Henry

• LoadStone Lovers
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 05:47:11 PM »
Scotland is awesome, the Black Cuillin in particular. When I've been to a new range, it often takes me a while to adjust to the terrain. On the Cuillin ridge - even though the environment is totally different I found the climbing/scrambling very familiar. If I closed my eyes, the giant scree chutes were very reminiscent of the Sierra. The sections on Gabbro felt similar to some velcro CA desert scrambling.

Would love to return for the full traverse. That said, I probably won't pack a bike ... beautiful video.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmAJVg2p

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 06:25:31 PM »
I was going to spray I would have gone faster, unti the narrow ledge part.
Ugh that was scary.

Always wanted to do this thing on the Sierra high country, like white mountains.
I'm not worthy.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 06:50:33 PM »
that section was nuts

mudworm

• Head Mistress
    • http://www.mxi2000.net
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 08:06:13 PM »
I feel that it's more on the edge than Honnold's free solo of Free Rider.

I know a comparison like this is silly, but that's one way for me to grasp the magnitude of the achievement.
Inch by inch, I will get there.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 01:30:56 PM »
Definitely at least in the same realm.  I was shocked to see him go for that line.  I wonder if he tried that with a harness on a dozen times first.

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 03:41:16 PM »
I bet he did with a harness
I'm not worthy.

mudworm

• Head Mistress
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 08:57:56 PM »
Definitely at least in the same realm.  I was shocked to see him go for that line.  I wonder if he tried that with a harness on a dozen times first.

How would a harness help if he and his bike falls down on the steep faces? Not sure what kind of harness you have in mind.

It's not like he could practice this ride 10's of times with a safety net below him the entire way. Unlike Honnold who can practice with a rope anywhere he wants on the route and do many run ups safely, I think the best Mad-A-Skill gets while practicing is a body armor, which I doubt he wears. If he fell at any of those narrow spots, he'd be gone. And I'm almost certain that this was the one and only time he did this line in its entirety. That's what made this more bad@ss in my mind. Too bad this level of bad@ssness is not known to the public.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2021, 08:04:21 AM »

Like great musicians and many others that are masters at their crafts - there are many badasses that never gain wide notoriety.
One wheel shy of normal

mudworm

• Head Mistress
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 01:11:33 PM »
For sure there are tons of jaw dropping imagination defying masteries, but there are not many that are “either master it to perfection; or you die.”  That’s what lifted Honnold up so high. I see this ride one of those.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 01:42:59 PM »
I agree with you.  There was no margin of error.  You could tell at the end he was happy to have made it.

JC w KC redux

• Agent Orange
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 04:29:49 PM »
There was no margin of error.  You could tell at the end he was happy to have made it.

Sounds like a Pinnacles route.  :lol:
One wheel shy of normal

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2021, 09:10:22 AM »
Just watched the outtakes video.  Very impressive when they state he did this over two days.  Basically, the crux sections were flashed.  That transition section that seemed so sketchy to me he just rides.  It was only the last slab section that he had to come back and try a second time after going back and getting stickier tires.  Classic line Danny, "I'm not getting any adrenaline.", another where he basically states he isn't feeling any fear, just being careful.