Author Topic: Old Original Descent with Cave closures  (Read 1726 times)

TheMtsAreCalling

• LoadStone Lovers
Old Original Descent with Cave closures
« on: March 09, 2021, 09:43:48 AM »
I'm planning on hitting Machete Ridge Old Original this weekend (looks like it's not in the raptor closures this year) and haven't done the descent before. Where does it spit you out relative to the caves? I don't want to wind up stuck behind a locked gate. Thanks!

Brad Young

• Grand Master
Re: Old Original Descent with Cave closures
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 09:56:24 AM »
Once below the upper gully (now featuring rappel stations up to 85 feet apart), do not do the rappel off the oak tree that used to be listed on Mountain Project (this rappel is stupid - it takes two ropes on a route that otherwise can be done with one; it is also slowly killing the tree). Instead make a class four traverse to the top of a lower gully.

That lower gully requires moving down among trees and boulders. Continuing all the way down the gully puts one on top of the caves. But the gully broadens down low and almost disappears. Veer right as it broadens and a grass and tree covered hillside allows easy walking to Balconies Cave Trail, east of the cave and east of the closure. Walk east to a junction with the Old Pinnacles and Balconies Cliff Trail and walk the Cliff Trail up and around, back to a point west of the caves.

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 10:06:45 AM »

You can also clean all the tat/booty from various trees along the way.

I have routinely found stuff on the tree Brad describes and have also found stuff lower down on the veering right leg that will keep you out of the caves.

If you are poison oak averse (like me) - keep a sharp eye in the gully and on the slope.

Enjoy because Old Original is likely to close again this year - a familiar pair of condors is gettin' busy.
One wheel shy of normal

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 10:44:36 AM »
 Short version:

You dont have to go through the caves. Walk away from the cave entrance.  Hang a left at balconies trail.  Walk back on that trail under the balconies.

TheMtsAreCalling

• LoadStone Lovers
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 01:06:39 PM »
Thanks for the responses! Will definitely clean any old tat I find and should the closures change will plan on this adventure in the fall :-)

Crustanddust

• Lichen It
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 01:10:46 PM »
you didnt hear it from me but that gate is 5.0

beanolar

• Mudders
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 03:53:08 PM »
Be sure to mail all tat to address on back of guidebook

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 05:11:15 PM »
you didnt hear it from me but that gate is 5.0

My standard route (prior to the gate) was to continue down the gully until I was on top of the cave boulders. Rock hopping (some big hops and at least one 3rd class descent) led to the upper railing. It's a straight shot (no light required) from there to the gate. It's best to avoid this route when the stream is flowing.

Zay

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 03:20:59 AM »
Echoing the help that's already here:

But yeah, hit the trail (by the gate) and turn right. Take the first left (Balconies Cliffs Trail).

Then go do Lava Falls ;)

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 06:11:20 AM »
^^^

Yeah, and after you do Lava Falls, hit up other, nearby formations that are also closed for raptors.

::)

Zay

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2021, 09:04:03 AM »
Hey man, I'm Hawaiian right now.

What the hell is rock climbing, again?