Author Topic: Who’s maintaining this place?  (Read 6754 times)

Atomizer

• Atomized
Re: Who’s maintaining this place?
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2021, 12:06:24 PM »
-  I'll have to check when I am there next, but what you found does not sound like any residual of my rebolting efforts.

-  Mission Impossible's start, up the tiny right-facing corner, was always left from the old first bolt. I had a hard time finding the right rock for the first Mission Impossible bolt replacement and had move it left some. On our new route we just used that replacement bolt too - but then continued up and left. So yes, the two first bolts are now shared.

-  I was skeptical at your early posts because I did in fact check out all the first six Mission Impossible bolts (inspecting by sight from below just to see what I could see). I don't remember seeing or being able to see a seventh bolt (or any above either). At the time I attributed this to it being just too far up to see from below. You may have found a better explanation.

-  Not brave enough to guess at our ingenious new route name, huh?

Okay, I just thought it was Joe missing another bolt...

I was less than confident about the quality of the 4th bolt. But Joe did take a sizeable fall on it, luckily without broken ankles. 

I would say the new route should be called "Powers Bolts" or "Fixe-ing Bolts"

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2021, 12:21:46 PM »
The fourth bolt definitely protects the hardest crux. And while it looks okay to visual inspection (and held his fall) it should probably be replaced.

And no, the underway route is called Get Smart. Joe will get that immediately, but as I said, you’re probably too young to have seen either show (unless you watch really old TV shows).

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2021, 12:50:32 PM »
Got to take that to the NPS claims division. Its part of where we file our first ascents.  8)

How were temps?

On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2021, 07:42:45 PM »
Everyone on this thread owes me a beer.
Here's to sweat in your eye

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2021, 08:30:00 AM »
You don’t drink beer!
Payment is made in person.
I'm not worthy.

beanolar

• Mudders
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2021, 03:09:22 PM »
So many bolts, so little time
I'm going to print up some "MBAP" shirts (Monterey Bay Area P***)
Who wants one?

Atomizer

• Atomized
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2021, 02:14:25 PM »
So many bolts, so little time
I'm going to print up some "MBAP" shirts (Monterey Bay Area P***)
Who wants one?

Sounds great. Not sure what the P stands for, but I'm down.

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2021, 03:54:00 PM »
Sounds great. Not sure what the P stands for, but I'm down.

:puke:
One wheel shy of normal

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2021, 05:25:16 PM »
Pink
I'm not worthy.

beanolar

• Mudders
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2021, 10:13:56 PM »

Will have to work on something pink

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2021, 07:00:19 AM »
Coastal simpletons.....
I'm not worthy.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2021, 09:41:31 AM »

Phenomenons
Causing trouble when not climbing.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2021, 05:09:15 PM »

...Joe was able to climb through the gap on “Peons...”

On Friday I replaced the hangerless fifth bolt on Peon's Delight. I also replaced the two top anchor bolts. All three replacement bolts are A.S.C.A. 1/2 inch stainless steel. The old holes are patched and camouflaged to invisibility.

I did this not because poor, poor Joe had had to lead through (apparently can't or won't read and didn't have anything to go over the hangerless stud?). But now, to my memory, there are no more entries in the book stating that "such and such bolt is hangerless" (J.C., you've got a better memory than me - am I missing any such entry?). Although it was pretty hot that day, and I got significantly dehydrated, I was still pretty pleased when I crossed that "hangerless" language out of the new West Side guidebook text.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2021, 05:37:48 PM »

...I was confronted with a much less desirable circumstance on “mission impossible” just moments later. The sixth bolt was gone from its hole, later to be found on the ground minus the hanger. My self preservation instincts told me to bail eventhough I’m sure I could have pulled through with the risk of a 30-40 foot fall on bolts that seems to enjoy being in the ground.   Not appealing. I’m curious where I request reimbursement for my carabiner. Is it directly to the guidebook author or does the NPS handle that?

As for the bolt we found at the base. Shaft from a five-piece. And it seemed to be broken off about 2” down from the head in the threaded portion. I did not get a good visual of the hole to see if the sheath was still in there.

Memories are weird things. Adam, you're leaver 'biner was on the seventh bolt, not the sixth.

Since it's so much easier/quicker for me to get to The Citadel than Gavin, I arrived today an hour and a half before him (like last time). Last time I replaced bolts one and three (the hangerless bolts). This time, while waiting, I rapped over Mission Impossible to check out the bolt situation.

And lo and behold, the seventh and ninth bolts were really easy to find...

But the eighth bolt? Well, Adam is serious on occasion and there was an empty hole, just as he described, right where the eighth bolt should have been! So what he found at the base was very likely that bolt.

I inspected the bolt and from looking at the rust pattern on it (can't do photos from here), it looks like very little of the bolt's end threads were ever engaged with the cone (deep in the hole). The eighth bolt protects the route's second crux, at a bulge. I suspect that, over the years, enough people have hung (or fallen?) there that, as with the old bolts on Feed the Beast before it was rebolted, the bolt simply came loose. Did someone then fall or rest on it with some, slight outward pull and then it slid out of the hole sending them on a fall (or maybe a further fall)? No-one has reported any such occurrence, but that seems most likely. That might also explain the missing bolt hanger - it would have stayed clipped to the climber's 'biner and, likely, their rope. Or maybe someone just clipped the bolt and it came out of its hole with their carabiner in their hand?

Anyway, there most certainly was a hole. Empty.

Now, only a few inches away, there's an A.S.C.A. 1/2 inch stainless steel bolt. New, tight and able to hold a fall.

As for your leaver carabiner? God, who still climbs on tiny, weeny little wire-gate 'biners? Those won't hold big people like me. Anyway, I've got it and you're very welcome to drive up to my house and retrieve it any time you want. Oh, and if you do come up? Bring your gear. There's lots and lots of stuff up our way that you haven't even seen, and Pinnacles season is juuust about over.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2021, 07:59:47 AM »
But now, to my memory, there are no more entries in the book stating that "such and such bolt is hangerless" (J.C., you've got a better memory than me - am I missing any such entry?).

I updated rebolting info - thanks.

Lucky 13 comes to mind (text says starting studs are hangerless).
Bruce and Clint put hangers on everything a few years ago.

I know of a few other hangerless studs on some west side routes but they are not listed in the text.

One wheel shy of normal

germanShepherd

• Lichen It
  • Woof - 'Canis Luto'
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2021, 01:10:06 PM »
Memories are weird things. Adam, you're leaver 'biner was on the seventh bolt, not the sixth.

Since it's so much easier/quicker for me to get to The Citadel than Gavin, I arrived today an hour and a half before him (like last time). Last time I replaced bolts one and three (the hangerless bolts). This time, while waiting, I rapped over Mission Impossible to check out the bolt situation.

And lo and behold, the seventh and ninth bolts were really easy to find...

But the eighth bolt? Well, Adam is serious on occasion and there was an empty hole, just as he described, right where the eighth bolt should have been! So what he found at the base was very likely that bolt.

I inspected the bolt and from looking at the rust pattern on it (can't do photos from here), it looks like very little of the bolt's end threads were ever engaged with the cone (deep in the hole). The eighth bolt protects the route's second crux, at a bulge. I suspect that, over the years, enough people have hung (or fallen?) there that, as with the old bolts on Feed the Beast before it was rebolted, the bolt simply came loose. Did someone then fall or rest on it with some, slight outward pull and then it slid out of the hole sending them on a fall (or maybe a further fall)? No-one has reported any such occurrence, but that seems most likely. That might also explain the missing bolt hanger - it would have stayed clipped to the climber's 'biner and, likely, their rope. Or maybe someone just clipped the bolt and it came out of its hole with their carabiner in their hand?

Anyway, there most certainly was a hole. Empty.

Now, only a few inches away, there's an A.S.C.A. 1/2 inch stainless steel bolt. New, tight and able to hold a fall.

As for your leaver carabiner? God, who still climbs on tiny, weeny little wire-gate 'biners? Those won't hold big people like me. Anyway, I've got it and you're very welcome to drive up to my house and retrieve it any time you want. Oh, and if you do come up? Bring your gear. There's lots and lots of stuff up our way that you haven't even seen, and Pinnacles season is juuust about over.

Thanks for putting that work in over there Brad. I'm looking forward to checking out Peon's and MI, as I've always wandered past those on the way up to the Citadel.

Nice Sunday for a family hike yesterday (West Side --> High Peaks --> East side --> back along Old Pinnacles trail), I'm sure it got pretty warm up there by the citadel!

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2021, 07:03:21 AM »

Thanks for putting that work in over there Brad. I'm looking forward to checking out Peon's and MI, as I've always wandered past those on the way up to the Citadel.

Nice Sunday for a family hike yesterday (West Side --> High Peaks --> East side --> back along Old Pinnacles trail), I'm sure it got pretty warm up there by the citadel!

They're both very worthwhile. I'll likely do one more session of bolt replacement(s) on Mission Impossible while there early on this coming Saturday (before the day's real activity starts).

And, surprisingly, we wore jackets at the base of Whitetail for parts of last Sunday. Low temps and a wind kept it cool.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2021, 07:04:32 AM »

Lucky 13 comes to mind (text says starting studs are hangerless).
Bruce and Clint put hangers on everything a few years ago.

I know of a few other hangerless studs on some west side routes but they are not listed in the text.

Ah yes, I'll have to check that/those out. But I didn't get that far this season in my text work and will have to do it next season.

JC w KC redux

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2021, 07:33:43 AM »
^^^
It's on the Master List - Bruce and Clint replaced all the hangers in 2014. I think some of them are stainless SMC.
Last time I was there (9-23-19) - they were all intact.
One wheel shy of normal

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2021, 12:33:44 PM »
Hey Brad, while on IM, do you mind ticking the good holds?
Asking for a friend....
I'm not worthy.