Author Topic: A List: New And Newly Found Routes Since the 2007 Guidebook  (Read 15099 times)

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
Re: A List: New And Newly Found Routes Since the 2007 Guidebook
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2022, 07:12:50 PM »
Is the hike longer/worse to Great Minds or Get Smart?  About the same. I think maybe equal but people do it to get to Coastanoan. The power of a sub 5.6 multipitch!

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2022, 07:29:47 PM »
Hikes really aren't long, or worse  ;)

I love hiking. As I get closer and closer to 100 years old, I'm more and more glad that I can do it. Halifax and I went for a hike after work today. Gorgeous weather and conditions.

But the hike to Great Minds is definitely longer than that to Get Smart. However it also passes through the Crowley/Balconies saddle, which I think is one of the very prettiest places in Pinnacles.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2022, 08:28:19 PM »

I love hiking. As I get closer and closer to 100 years old

The walking dead?
Causing trouble when not climbing.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2022, 08:48:39 PM »
So funny that the master himself would reply to me.

I was channeling my inner Clink while I mused about hiking, life, and my birthday tomorrow. Just putting down some thoughts.

We sure as hell live good lives.

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2022, 05:39:08 AM »
clink has probably been up for hours but I'll go ahead and wish you a happy birthday. Two birds with one chossy stone - 1st to wish you a happy birthday and hijack the thread - plus bonus bird points - bad pun before the closures kick in and Gavin has left the country.
One wheel shy of normal

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2022, 07:20:22 AM »

Happy birthday Brad!

You know that there was a time around ten years ago, when adding my age to your age would have equaled 100 years, but that was a decade ago.

Atomizer

• Atomized
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2022, 11:28:06 AM »
On Tuesday we climbed Great Minds and only the last 20 feet were wet. I imagine it could be  dry by now. We found the rock to be very dirty, the holds  were filled with mud, lots of rock broke off and every time I got pumped I really need a left foothold and there was not one. If the route setters can address these concerns it would warrant three stars. As of now I think Get Smart is a better route. We really enjoyed the 10d the right. The movement was totally primo! And it’ll be a great 5.12 when that first loose holds busts. I recommend that the route-setters should Sika that thing on if they want it to stay 10d. I thought it could be 11a for shorter abnormal people like myself.

Otherwise, it was a wonderful day in a great spot. Looking forward to climbing Vee is for victory. And the top tier routes next time we return. Finished off with the Inn Crowd. But we got scared and bailed after one pitch.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2022, 06:03:05 PM »
Happy Birthday Brad!  Here's to future routesetting!

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2022, 07:25:27 PM »
Thanks all for the nice birthday wishes (even from Adam who would have said happy birthday if he’d known it was my birthday).

Among time with family, Vicki and I visited eight Toller puppies. They’re only two weeks old, but one of the girls is very likely to be our new Digby. We’ll probably take her home in early February. Toller puppies are so damn cute. I want all eight plus their mother Charm.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2022, 07:39:58 PM »

Sounds close to a lot of Fundy.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2022, 07:42:27 PM »
Gotta know your geography for that one!

Atomizer

• Atomized
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2022, 11:24:27 AM »
Oh shoot. Brad, I can’t believe I missed you birthday as I was too wrapped up in the satire. Happy birthday fellow abnormality!!!

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2022, 09:52:52 PM »
Happy Belated Birthday Brad.
May those cobbles hold!
I'm not worthy.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2022, 09:51:12 AM »
Happy belated birthday
Here's to sweat in your eye

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2023, 04:46:03 PM »
fellow abnormality!!!

One thing that rather disturbs and troubles me about my eventual demise, is of the people left to carry on without me, many are comfortable to trend towards normal. In that dimness is yet, a glint of hope.

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2023, 05:32:53 AM »
^^^
Whether we want to admit it or not - We all eventually become our parents to some degree. There is no escaping it.
So there is hope (and of course Rachel)  :lol: :ihih: :devildevil:
One wheel shy of normal

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2023, 04:38:57 PM »
I added the final route description for La Ultima today (it's significantly different than the description in the Dave Harden thread). And I updated the description for the nearby route Last But Not Least.

These are the last two routes on the list. It turns out that Last But Not Least is not last. It may be least however. La Ultima is Harden's chosen route name. It is Spanish (I say this because it could also be perhaps a different romance language) for The Last. I guess we'll see if it remains such.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2023, 07:33:29 PM »

To be anatomically correct, shouldn’t the Tidbits be adjoined to Slick Pinnacle? Or forgive me for being insensitive if the area is referred to as the Birth Defect Area and I missed it, because that would make perfect sense then and also be very inclusive.

Is there really a secret passage that goes from somewhere near the Backdoor to the alcove under Once Around the Backside?

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2023, 04:29:25 PM »
I added the final route description for La Ultima today (it's significantly different than the description in the Dave Harden thread). And I updated the description for the nearby route Last But Not Least.

These are the last two routes on the list. It turns out that Last But Not Least is not last. It may be least however. La Ultima is Harden's chosen route name. It is Spanish (I say this because it could also be perhaps a different romance language) for The Last. I guess we'll see if it remains such.

Ultimate  Ultima?

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2023, 01:07:03 PM »
I added three new routes to the list today:

-  858.8  Pink Giant  5.5 *
-  858.92  Little Pink Giant  5.4
-  858.93  Little Pink Giant - Secondary Summit  5.1

I'll note too that  I really, really enjoyed getting to and being on the summit of Pink Giant. It's "only" a one star climb, but this type of summit with its feel and views and remoteness is what moved me along toward loving Pinnacles climbing 40 years ago. Very, very cool spot!