Author Topic: Costanoan Under the Full Moon  (Read 1300 times)

John.k.moore

• Lichen It
Costanoan Under the Full Moon
« on: August 23, 2022, 08:48:55 PM »
So a guy at work today said that one day he wants to climb Costanoan at night under the full moon. Is that something that's done typically or is he unique in this idea? I thought it sounded pretty cool to do but he said he's in Yosemite for the full moon in September then we're both out of state until almost Christmas. Anyone up for trying this? Too ludicrous, maybe?

clink

• Meanderthal
Re: Costanoan Under the Full Moon
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 05:22:10 AM »
 About 3 and a half decades ago, we had the the not-so-bright-as-daylight idea of climbing The West Face of Machete route via Machete Direct.(Bear with me Brad)

The major miscalculation we made was that the full moon doesn’t crest Machete Ridge until well into the night, similar to the glaring fact that the full sun doesn’t crest Machete Ridge until well into the day.

Geoff forgot his headlamp.

Whatever amount of time after sunrise that the sunlight directly basks Costanoan in it’s glory, is approximately the time after sunset that the delightful full moon rays will cast an aura on the mountain lion lurking at the base of the Citadel.

I’m not sure of the orientation of Costanoan to the ecliptic, Gavin probably has milk and cookies on top of the Citadel or one of the surrounding pinnacles around midnight occasionally and may know. Noal may have some info as he has been frequenting the area lately.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 05:48:54 AM »
One of the Yosemite Valley "classics" was always to do Snake Dike by full moon. Bold people talked about doing that naked.

But Clink is right - I doubt that the moon will shine on most of Costanoan; the sun usually doesn't hit large parts of it during the day, does it? So maybe do a "headlamp assisted full moon" ascent?

The naked part? Well, we don't need to hear about that part, and photos aren't mandatory.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 06:52:48 AM »
The follower on the naked ascent will surely see the full moon.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 07:02:47 AM »
Maybe. In that light they'll only see the subject matter if the person above has an un-tanned behind. Someone with pasty white skin will do.

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 07:17:57 AM »
To answer Clinks question Costanoan is usually fully in the sun in the mornings (9 am)  The top of Power Tools and Whitetail also get sun.  Around 11-12 those parts go in the shade but Costanoan remains in the sun.

I thought Costanoan got sun all day long but this past weekend I noticed it goes into the shade around 2-3.  Around this time if you are on  Power Tools the wind usually kicks up.

The Citadel has perfect temps for climbing in the summer.  Even when it gets over 100 it is still comfortable.

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2022, 07:22:34 AM »
Maybe. In that light they'll only see the subject matter if the person above has an un-tanned behind. Someone with pasty white skin will do.

Pale, bobbing buttocks bounding up Citadel's Stygian north face? Illuminating.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2022, 03:47:14 PM »
^^^

Nice, Bob.

Most of us know that Bob dabbles in writing fiction. Well, I dabble in reading that fiction. And after reading his latest collection, "Joaquin's Gold," I am really glad I do.

It's a collection of short stories centered on Joaquin Murrieta. I read the whole book in one day while Vicki and were traveling. I especially liked the story called "The Wreck of the Annabelle Lee." Very inventive.

I think Bob once put a link on here showing how to buy a copy? It's self published (Bob, if/when you read this would you re-link that). So, spend a few minutes finding and buying it. And then read it. It's fun.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2022, 03:49:05 PM »
^^^

And by the way, I apologize for the thread highjacking, John. I hope you're OK with it - in the interest of emphasizing something good done by another Mudder ;)

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2022, 06:11:17 PM »
^^^

And by the way, I apologize for the thread highjacking, John. I hope you're OK with it - in the interest of emphasizing something good done by another Mudder ;)

JC, if it helps, the title story ends up in the High Peaks.

Brad, thanks for the good word! The link follows:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09RTX6G3G/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

John.k.moore

• Lichen It
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2022, 09:26:30 AM »
Yeah, I probably wouldn't go for the naturalist thing. I mean, there are some really specific situations where that would be fun I suppose, but not this particular occasion. I read a story not too long ago about a naturalist club, I think in the Flatirons in Colorado, that does nude climbing of some of those routes. I'd find and link the article but I'm currently at work so, when the rudimentary Google search for "naturalist rock climbing Colorado" came up negative, I figured it would be best to not really start pushing limits with search keywords.

So, back to the business at hand, Costanoan or otherwise, would anyone be interested in any late evening/nighttime climbing between now and about September 15?

BAP

• Mudders
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2022, 10:33:03 AM »
Thank you Bob.  I just ordered the book. 

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2022, 10:47:42 AM »
JC, if it helps, the title story ends up in the High Peaks.

He wasn't addressing me Bob.
One wheel shy of normal

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2022, 12:19:10 PM »
full moon rays will cast an aura on the mountain lion lurking at the base of the Citadel   

I bet a mountain lion could climb Costanoan. A mountain lion chasing naked soloist might break that guy on Mt. Projects time of 8 min.

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2022, 04:32:31 PM »
I bet a mountain lion could climb Costanoan. A mountain lion chasing naked soloist might break that guy on Mt. Projects time of 8 min.

That would make a decent video if it weren't too dark.

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2022, 04:35:23 PM »
Thank you Bob.  I just ordered the book. 
Thanks, BAP! I'll confide that I dropped every tall tale, legend and juicy item of historical gossip I've come across in the past thirty years into these stories. Historical accuracy was not my main concern.

waldo

• Mudders
    • Chaos Gate
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2022, 04:38:38 PM »
He wasn't addressing me Bob.
  Apologies, JC. I'm getting older, after all.

P.S. A sore knee (my "good" left one) has kept me from climbing (or walking!) for the last month. I hope complete healing and a lowering of temps will arrive at the same time!

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2022, 07:48:45 PM »

Talk about exposure, don’t stem or you might lose a bag of nuts.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2022, 08:34:12 AM »
  Apologies, JC. I'm getting older, after all.

No apology necessary waldo.

One wheel shy of normal

BAP

• Mudders
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2022, 10:38:05 AM »
I'll confide that I dropped every tall tale, legend and juicy item of historical gossip I've come across in the past thirty years into these stories.

Now I can't wait to read them! :)