Author Topic: Progress: the Status of the New "A Climbers Guide to Pinnacles National Park"  (Read 2766 times)

Brad Young

• Grand Master
It's time to make a thread about the progress Steve and I have made on the new book.

For quite some time I've had all the maps and topos updated to my current standards and the texts updated to show all new routes and information. I don't have all the photos I need, but I've been getting these taken in time so that Steve and I can continue book assembly as quickly as we have time to spend on it. But book assembly is hard, almost grueling work, and it takes time.

Today, Steve and I finished assembly of the book through the end of the East Side. That's through route number 738 out of a current route count of 1,392. Keep in mind that the 2007 book included a total of 893 routes.

For the math challenged, that's 53% finished.

I'll post periodic updates here, and also some photos of completed pages and teasers like that.

Those will have to wait for now though. I had a cup of Sake and some potato chips to celebrate and I'm now barely able to type....

NOAL

• Pin Heads
  • Hit Lichen Scrub
Outstanding!  Potato chips make my fingers greasy too.

Brad Young

• Grand Master

Outstanding!  Potato chips make my fingers greasy too.

I was down near the bottom of the bag (you know, where most of the chips are no longer whole?).

In such circumstances I always eat my potato chips with a spoon. A large spoon. Yep; saves on the greasy fingers.

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
I am relieved to hear that Brad still gets hammered on a single adult beverage. Everything feels right in the world.
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

clink

• Meanderthal

The word is that Brad and Steve had an extremely productive day working on the 2034 guidebook!
Causing trouble when not climbing.

Brad Young

• Grand Master

The word is that Brad and Steve had an extremely productive day working on the 2034 guidebook!

E.S.A.D.

Got it done up to route 790 now. That's through Goat Rock in the High Peaks.

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud

too funny
Here's to sweat in your eye

Brad Young

• Grand Master

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
nothin like watching a race involving a bunch of old grey haired guys.   
Here's to sweat in your eye

squiddo

• Pin Heads
  • If it itches, scratch it.
nothin like watching a race involving a bunch of old grey haired guys.

;D
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Every climb gets 3 stars from me until I climb it.
-Anonymous spirited climber

kylequeener

• Mudders
What?! Where do I pre-order?! Take my money.

You know, a random itch got me to come back to this forum after all these years. Maybe it was to share this story and to make sure Brad knows what those bolts to the right of Ranger Bolts are. Brad, I don't know if I clued you in to what I had going on over there or not, so here it is:

After I did the majority of the hard routes at Pinnacles I naturally wanted to climb more, so I started looking at obvious and unclimbed lines on the Monolith. I thought I saw a line heading dead up form the original start to Ranger Bolts and decided I wanted to take a closer look. I figured if Ranger Bolts had holds, this area must also have some features. At this point in my life I was pretty green (and young, idiotic, etc.), in fact I was almost entirely green to putting up routes in the Pinnacles style. Brad and Gavin toted me around on a few lines previously, but that was all natural stance at maybe 5.9 and I wanted more 5.13's. I knew I obviously wasn't going to rap bolt (DUH!) and a bolt latter is just bad taste, so I did the only thing I thought I could do; I went to the climbing gym in Monterey and I took the rack of hooks out of the 'history case' that was displayed at the counter. I did get permission to do so, just fyi.

Now armed with my rack of two or three hooks I went out solo to the Monolith, after having read some vague how-to on lead soloing from the depths of Super Topo. Probably. I really don't recall. All I knew is that I didn't have a proper solo device and opted not to use a gri-gri, instead settling on using a clove-hitch off a locker. I got down into the pit, got to the base of the original start of Ranger Bolts, where if memory serves me right, there's an easy to clip bolt. I imagine I anchored off the single bolt, but the memory is fuzzy. I had some aid-ladders and the hooks and all the other essentials and set off. Getting up a ways I placed a hook to test how they work and get a little comfortable before questing into the unknown. I found a good looking knob and set the hook transferring my weight slowly at first, then entirely. POP! I was back on the ground. The knob had broken and so I learned to perhaps not trust the knobs.

Not entirely undeterred by that I set off again with my loop of slack and ready to get to climbing. I think I was able to clip the second bolt of RR (or link it into my anchor) before branching straight up, perhaps slightly right. I recall free climbing in my trail runners with the whole kit hanging off of me, belayed by that guess of needed slack to get to where I thought maybe I'd get a hook and a bolt in. This system worked for maybe three bolts, perhaps even four, but my memory is fuzzy and I took no notes. I remember it was always a relief to finish a bolt and clip in after tenuously hanging on a hook hanging on mud n crud. I believe summer came in quickly after that first day and by the Fall I had moved to Bishop. I've always referred to the route as the Hooker with a Heart of Gold or Hookin' ain't Easy project.

It's likely a terrible route, but hey, it's open! I'm never coming back for it. Y'all get after it. ;)

Brad Young

• Grand Master
Damn, Kyle, that's a great story and no, I don't think anyone other than you knows anything about this. Sounds like I should go check my topo though to see if I can place your project bolts on it?

And you really should consider getting back over here to Pinnacles. Bishop is gorgeous and the unlimited amounts of rock on the Sierra east side are pretty amazing. But come one, it's us. And it's mud.

Miss you. Mean it.

burnsbabe

• Cobble Crimpers
You know, you probably could take pre-orders at this point if you wanted, Brad. I know you've been thinking about cost and such, and it would probably be a good way to get some feedback on that.

Brad Young

• Grand Master
^^^

Kurt has actually given a fair amount of thought to this issue. And I told him that if he thinks he can work out a clean and smooth system to go for it.

I think we're still more than a year out though from sending it to the printer.

kylequeener

• Mudders
Damn, Kyle, that's a great story and no, I don't think anyone other than you knows anything about this. Sounds like I should go check my topo though to see if I can place your project bolts on it?

And you really should consider getting back over here to Pinnacles. Bishop is gorgeous and the unlimited amounts of rock on the Sierra east side are pretty amazing. But come one, it's us. And it's mud.

Miss you. Mean it.

Awww thanks, Brad. The Pinnacles crowd is a truly unmatched community. I'll be back someday. I still yearn for the mud.