Author Topic: Rode the bike to work tday.  (Read 4216 times)

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
Rode the bike to work tday.
« on: May 03, 2007, 10:50:40 AM »
From La Honda.  25 miles just under two hours.
Whoo hoo.
Here's to sweat in your eye

mudworm

• Head Mistress
    • http://www.mxi2000.net
Re: Rode the bike to work tday.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 04:28:53 PM »
He first thought today was the National Bike to Work day and there would be free breakfast at work. Only when he got to work, he found out that he got the date wrong by two weeks. Then later he was reminded that he needed to go up to South San Francisco to attend a work related conference in the afternoon, and he only had a bike.  ;D
Inch by inch, I will get there.

F'ueco

• Mudders
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 06:22:27 AM »
Now do that every day!

How was the rain for you after work? It started raining just before I left the "gym"... Miserable, but at least the rain won't come much more until October or so...
Live from Boulder, CO...

mudworm

• Head Mistress
    • http://www.mxi2000.net
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 06:56:31 AM »
F'ueco,

I heard that you were (or still are?) a bike commuter. That was really cool. Can I ask you a couple of questions?
1) What's your take on bikers' mirrors? I've read two schools of thoughts on it and both sides feel strongly about their own views. I'm a bit torn.  Do you think it's a helpful device in riding in heavy street traffic?
2) Do you commute on your high end road bike, or do you have a separate bike for it? At this point, I'm still babying my new road bike. Getting it wet and muddy sounds too cruel. Wonder what your setup is.

Where I came from, bikes are for commuting for most of people. Cars are used to it and roads are designed for it.  But here in the United States, biking on the streets always gives me a feeling that I'm stealing the street -- I'm not supposed to be there.  And from what I read, that's what many drivers think as well.  As far as bikers are concerned, the US is a hostile country.

Glad to hear that you are pulling it off though.
Inch by inch, I will get there.

F'ueco

• Mudders
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 10:19:14 AM »
 Yeah, I still do ride to work almost all of the time (today being one of those exceptions). I split the time between my roadie (not high-end by any means) and my single-speed cyclocross bike. Most of the roads I ride on are pretty friendly, and my morning commute is half bikepaths.

Once I get my new bike setup, I will probably only ride that one to work when I am intending to do a long ride after work. That will be a Rock Lobster cyclocross rig with all SRAM Force components and the best stuff I could afford (the Chris King wheelsets may have to wait a month or two).

My dad always rides with a mirror and swears that it is the way to go. I have never actually tried it; though it does seem like a good idea.

I do tend to ride rather aggressively in traffic... I love dodging idiots and shooting gaps that would do a messenger proud. It's just fun when the damned cars aren't moving.  :)  Most drivers are pretty good about giving you the room to ride, you just have to watch for those that don't. Start with roads that are fairly mellow and work into the busier streets. Soon enough you will be perfectly comfortable with cars blowing by five feet to your left going 45... Or maybe not.

Oh, and read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Urban-Cycling-Lessons-Street/dp/0762727837/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-2054383-2252004?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1178302730&sr=8-1
Live from Boulder, CO...

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 11:56:40 AM »
F'ueco did not end up riding home since I had a conference up in San Mateo.  I co-worker gave me a ride to the conference then mudworm came and rescued me and drove me home.  So the ride was all dry.  Currently I am thinking of splitting duty between driving and riding.  If I can pull that off then perhaps I will go from there.

Oh and happy late Birthday.  Bummer on the Sharks.  Would have liked to have been there but work has been crazy for me.  Looks like I will be here late tonight.
Here's to sweat in your eye