Author Topic: 24m and 5k vert  (Read 2736 times)

salad

• Mudders
24m and 5k vert
« on: April 07, 2008, 08:35:30 AM »
tough run sunday from old highway 80 12 miles up the pct and back, solo and unsupported.  felt pretty good, not to wrecked today, but was 14 minutes slower on the first 12 miles than i was during the race last year....thats got me a little worried, but i still have 3 more weeks to gain fitness before tapering.

all in all i was 30 seconds faster per mile than i need to be to qualify for western states, but then again i didnt even cover half the distance, and a lot can go wrong in the 2nd half of a fifty...
eow!

mynameismud

• unworthy
    • Mudncrud
Re: 24m and 5k vert
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 09:28:02 AM »
Much good mojo to ya.
Here's to sweat in your eye

mudworm

• Head Mistress
    • http://www.mxi2000.net
Re: 24m and 5k vert
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 09:34:36 AM »
salad, are you using a Garmin? If you upload your data to Motionbased, they might auto-correct it to 30m and 6k vert.   (That's what happened to our Saturday's ride.)

I don't really know which one (Garmin or Motionbased) is more accurate. I have the Garmin set to sample every 5 seconds, so I suppose its distance calculation is an accumulation of many straight lines. I think Motionbased tries to smooth it out, which automatically adds some distance to it.  It makes sense, although the true distance might be somewhere in the middle. And the auto-correction probably causes more difference in riding data than in running data because on flats and downhill, you can cover quite some ground in 5 seconds on a bicycle.

The cool thing is you get a satellite overlay of your track from motionbased. 

What you covered by foot is about what we covered on our bikes. As Mud would say, DAM! Way to go, salad!  :thumbup:
Inch by inch, I will get there.