Author Topic: Mungehausen Syndrome  (Read 5823 times)

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
Mungehausen Syndrome
« on: February 25, 2009, 07:26:23 PM »
When the site went down for a bit, I posted this on the taco...

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?topic_id=687472

"Since mudncrud.com is down right now, i thought would alert you folks to a very serious illness spreading across the land: Mungehausen Syndrome.

In Mungehausen syndrome, the affected person exaggerates the need to, or creates conditions for, climbing dirt filled cracks, mossy faces, and seeping corners in order to gain interest, attention, foolishness, and comfort from mud-like people. In some extremes, people suffering from Mungehausen's Syndrome are highly knowledgeable about the practice of climbing at Pinnacles, and are able to produce desperate choss masterpieces that result in multiple and some would say "unnecessary" routes. For example, they may place a bolt on a pink volcanic tuff of a face that is covered in rat feces, bat guano, and loose rock, causing widespread interest in an obscure route, and further causing lengthy and costly exploratory trips and much analyses of route location and prolonged scanning of walls to find said route. The role of "choss lover" is a familiar and comforting one, and it fills a psychological need in people with Mungehausen's. It is distinct from hypovolcandria in that patients with Mungehausen syndrome are aware that they love mud and filth, while sufferers of hypovolcandria actually believe Pinnacles is a nice place to climb.

In many cases, a similar behavior called Mungehausen Syndrome by Proxy has been documented in the elder mudmeisters. The mature mudmeister believes the loose-rock-appreciator has a good line and therefore compels such appreciator to suffer extended belays in the fall line of the new routes the mudmeister elects to take the lead on. Regardless of the mental health of the elder mudmeister, this is a serious form of abuse.

don't wait til it's too late, report abuse now
1-976-GET-CHSS

Has anyone else experienced this? Lost a loved one to weekends away hanging on hooks trying to figure out whether to use a 3.5" bolt or 4"?"
On Aid at Pinns... It's all A1 til it crumbles. - Munge

F4?

• unworthy
Re: Mungehausen Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 02:21:18 AM »
Must still be raining over there. I`m down for the Pinns Sat if dry. Of couse I`ll be snoozing by noon.
I'm not worthy.

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 12:06:50 PM »
F4 did you go grab the

at Pinns on Saturday? 

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 12:37:31 PM »
Don't I wish...Jet lag and family stuff kept me away. It's looking like Sunday will work fer me.

New training:
Have baby.
Feed baby till they tip 20+ lbs.
Get Kid carrier.
Schelp baby in kid carrier for 8hrs per day.
Be sure to utilize stairs vs elevator or escalator.
Repeat as much as your back can take it.
I'm not worthy.

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 01:57:45 PM »
Pinneys?

or

F4?

• unworthy
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 08:49:33 PM »
I'd prefer Pinns over Uber trying to grab my ass.
I'm not worthy.

mungeclimber

• PermaBan
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 07:35:40 AM »
CDC reports a rise in cases. Time to get inoculated.

clink

• Meanderthal
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 09:04:46 PM »
 The problem currently is the solid and sometimes large holds on steeper rock this season has led to confusing symptoms.

It worries me that JC is climbing on granite this weekend after climbing at Pinns all summer. His combination of conflicted conditions may result in him getting anotsocute tuff consolidation. Astroidstipation(Impacted Loadstoneitus).  :(

A total bummer situation if it becomes chronic.
Causing trouble when not climbing.

JC w KC redux

• my density has brought me to you...
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 10:46:04 AM »

Seems to be Hypovolcandria for me.

Looks like there is a cooling trend headed in for the weekend and I will be envious from afar.

One wheel shy of normal

Max

• Cobble Crimpers
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 07:04:59 PM »
Don't I wish...Jet lag and family stuff kept me away. It's looking like Sunday will work fer me.

New training:
Have baby.
Feed baby till they tip 20+ lbs.
Get Kid carrier.
Schelp baby in kid carrier for 8hrs per day.
Be sure to utilize stairs vs elevator or escalator.
Repeat as much as your back can take it.

that was my training and it got me up shasta, and almost up sill, solo, though, that was more conditions.
When in doubt, run it out!